[MPlayer-users] Problems at driver-install - answer not in the FAQ

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Jun 6 23:31:05 CEST 2002

On Thursday, 06 June 2002, Thomas Barth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get problems to install the mga_vid-driver.
> I am using the new RedHat7.3

First: try the RPMs. Obviously this will be easier for you.

[snip]
> Makefile doesnt find the file modversion.h. This file is in
> /usr/include/linux. I changed the directory in the Makefile to
> KERNEL_INCLUDES = /usr/include

No! These are kernel headers from glibc-kernheaders (or kernel-headers
in RH 7.[012]) package, which were used to build glibc. They are to be
used for building regular software, not kernel modules. That's why you
get the error below.

> Now I get other error-messages

> [root at linux drivers]# make
> cc -g -O2  -Wall -D__KERNEL__  -DMODULE          -include
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -I/usr/include -c mga_vid.c
> In file included from mga_vid.c:1:
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
> kernel-headers system headers,
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather headers from an
> appropriate kernel-source package.
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change -I/usr/src/linux/include
> (or similar) to
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/build/include
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the
> currently-running kernel.
[snip]

Apparently you do not understand the above messages.
Since kernel 2.4.0, current running kernel headers (which are required
to build this kernel module) are in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
and that's the directory you should put in the Makefile.

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>