[MPlayer-users] DVD on a LAN

Peter Plantagenet plantagenet at music.com
Mon Jun 10 22:56:02 CEST 2002

>I mailed with the author of nbd about 3 month ago as I did want to do
>the same with the DVD-ROM in my server, but he told me direct hardware
>access wouldn't work. So the only possibility seems to be mounting DVD
>with NFS and using old libcss-style ...
>
>Rene

Hi Rene,

The NBD idea is just what I was looking for. Even though the standard nbd
doesn't support this, it's very likely that the Extended NBD will now work; they
have support for remote ioctls (http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb/nbd/). For details,
see the on-going
development discussion at
http://lists.community.tummy.com/pipermail/enbd/2002/date.html -- they've
been spending April and May refining how to mount a remote floppy or a
CD-ROM.

I'm a newbie here and should make it clear at once that I don't know what
I'm doing. However, as far as I know, DVD drives simply use CD drivers in
Linux. Here, for instance, is what my DVD does on bootup:

hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1212, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 32X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

Jens Axboe, the Linux CD-ROM driver maintainer, has long since integrated
the DVD CSS ioctls into the Linux CD-ROM driver -- has anything changed
here?

So it looks to me like we should be able to mount a remotely located DVD
player on a local system and play it as if it were local. NBD doesn't even
use NFS, as you know; it relies on the IP. I guess an inquiry to the ENBD
people is the place to start.

I can't get to this right away, but if anyone tries it (Rene?), or find
somebody who has, could they report back?

Cheers,
Peter

Get YourName.Music.com- http://www.music.com/myband_main.html
Reserve your .Music.com address and reach thousands of fans!

Express yourself with a super cool email address from BigMailBox.com.
Hundreds of choices. It's free!
http://www.bigmailbox.com