[MPlayer-users] cvs/frameno/encode

Miklos Bagi Jr. joschy at mailbox.hu
Tue Jun 11 01:11:01 CEST 2002

> That's exactly what we want. You can describe what you are doing but
> would still lack the information that we need to help you.
> So it's always a good idea, even if you think it's PEBCAK to write
> a full bugreport.

Ok, so here is what you can call a full bugreport:

COMMON:

distrib: RedHat 7.3 (valhalla)
kernel: 2.4.18
libc: 2.2.5
X: 4.2.0
gcc: 3.0.4
ld: 2.11.93.0.2 20020207
binutils:  2.11.93.0.2 20020207

HW:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 733.370
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1461.45
VidCard: NVidia Geforce2 MX400
VidDriver: NVidia KernelPatch

And now, let me describe the problem:

This is not a problem with compilation/playback, I do not have any segfaults,
SIGILLs, signal4, coredump, etc. Mplayer just worsk fine. It's about
mencoder.

mencoder version: MEncoder CVS-020608-12:10-3.0.4

I had never experienced this problem using pre3 and older cvs distribs. pre4
seemed to start thisone.

I have a 2cds SVCD to compress to Divx, no crop and special effects needed.
The movie is about 1,5 hours long, as the original movie size is correct:

773122756 May 20 21:05 e-dtox1.mpg
759604048 May 20 21:17 e-dtox2.mpg

I'm trying to do a 3 pass encoding thisway:

cat *.mpg|mencoder -ovc frameno -vop scale=576:432 -lameopts abr:br=96 -o
frameno.avi - >frameno.log
cat *.mpg|mencoder -v -vop scale=576:432 -lameopts abr:br=96 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=964:vpass=1 -o pass1.avi -
cat *.mpg|mencoder -v -vop scale=576:432 -lameopts abr:br=96 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=964:vpass=2 -o pass2.avi -

mencoder tells me at frameno that I'll need to do a 964 bitrate to make the
movie fit to a 700MB CD. This looks perfect as information, it is possible
because the movie is not that long. Pass1 encoding produces pass1.avi which
is not even close to 700MB:

344541244 Jun 10 05:33 pass1.avi

It is the same with pass2:

332587324 Jun 10 08:11 pass2.avi

It does not metter if I change the bitrate. It will be the same size whatever
I do even if I take 10 times of frameno's information (9640).
There are some movies affected, some are not. I have no idea what makes the
difference, I'm trying to encode SVCDs only and as I've already mentioned did
not have this problem before.

Please let me know what files do you need to give me some support. I can
support you with the frameno log, lavcstats, everything regarding the
encoding process...

Kind regards,
Miklos Bagi Jr.