[MPlayer-users] tv out

DEBERT Jean-Louis jl_debert at rsd-intl.com
Tue Jun 11 11:28:01 CEST 2002

> > If your card has a BIOS capable to enable TV-out for basic DOS
> > (I mean line mode, not Windows) then you can use -vo vesa
> in mplayer,
> > but you have (usually) to have the TV connected at boot
> time, because
> > this is the only time the Bios will recognize its presence.
>
> How will mplayer know that vesa refers to the tv out if the
> card can support
> independant images on each output?

That's the point: mplayer doesn't know about the tv out, it just
paints the video on the console. But if the Bios in your graphic
card allows to just _duplicate_ vga output on the TV output
(it works with my card, Matrox G400 DH) you'll have the video
on _both_ vga console and TV.

> I'm looking to have mplayer display on tv out regardless of
> how I switch
> between X and text consoles.

I'm not sure but I don't think that -vo vesa can be used from
an X session ... However, with linux at least, you can always
press ctl-alt-Fn to get a true console session even when X is
running.