[MPlayer-users] DVD sound sync

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jun 11 18:00:02 CEST 2002

> > When I play back a DVD using mplayer, I usually have to set a sound
> > delay of -200 or -300 ms to synchronise the picture and sound.
>

> Me too ;-), and IIRC lots of others also seem to have sync problems when
> playing DVDs. Although my machine (Celeron466) isn't fast at all, I do
> not think it's a performance problem. My suspicion is that mplayer is
> not paying attention to some kind of constant time offset specified in
> the MPEG.

there is NO such info in the mpeg headers

maybe it is in the .ifo, but no one has detailed docs on .ifo file format
the current rev.eng.-ed docs only cover navigation

i have only 3 dvd disks, and none of them has such problem
so eirther teh disk is badly mastered, or i'm just lucky...

send me such disk with this problem than i can probably reproduce and try to
find where is such info stored...

anyway i still say that it's probably audio driver problem
mpeg files has exact timestamps on both video and audio, and i've never
heard about constant a-v offset used in mpeg files or dvd disks
so, the only way to get a-v desynced is bad driver of slow system

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team