[MPlayer-users] DVD on a LAN

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Tue Jun 11 19:13:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:32:11 -0700
"Peter Plantagenet" <plantagenet at music.com> wrote:

> > Did you try playing the DVD while NOT mounting it ?
>
> Hi Sylvain --
>
> I've tried that -- if I don't mount it, neither libdvdread nor mplayer finds
> anything.
>
> I do have the symlink /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc, and this works fine when I'm on the
> remote machine. But I can't get it to find the device when I'm not. I agree that
> if I could, I probably wouldn't have a problem.
>
> If it's possible to define a DVD drive in such a way that programs running on a
> remote computer can see it even when it's not mounted, that would be great. Does
> anybody know if this is possible?
>
> If it's not possible, I guess this means I have to rely on the "old method" of
> descrambling, which I haven't been able to get make work.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Well, I've tried to make a backup of a dvd by doing
dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dvd.raw
(of course after autenticating it) and this copied the whole
dvd content to disk. Playing it with
mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device dvd.raw
worked perfectly.

Maybe you can make the device node of the dvd drive on platon accessible to
the other computer and then try to use it the way similar to what I did
when backing the dvd up (no, not dump the discs contents but use -dvd-device)

Anyways, you could actualy try to dump a part of it to see wheter this works.
If not that is probably the problem.

Please let me know wheter this was the problem and how you solved it if you
made it.

Clemens Wächter