[MPlayer-users] Soundcard Survey [was: DVD sound sync]

Michael Lampe Michael.Lampe at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jun 12 15:25:02 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:

 > anyway i still say that it's probably audio driver problem
 > mpeg files has exact timestamps on both video and audio, and
 > i've never heard about constant a-v offset used in mpeg files
 > or dvd disks so, the only way to get a-v desynced is bad driver
 > of slow system.

Every DVD I played with mplayer so far needed a delay of about -200 ms
for good A/V sync.

CPU is only a Celeron433, but from the CPU load and the fact that
mplayer doesn't drop frames, I'd say this is fast enough.

Soundcard is a Soundblaster PCI64 (Ensoniq ES1371). Same Problem with
OSS (both kernel drivers and commercial) and ALSA (both 0.5 and 0.9).

So my question to all of you who claim perfect A/V sync with DVD
playback: What's your CPU? Which soundcard/driver combination dou you use?

-Michael