[MPlayer-users] Soundcard Survey [was: DVD sound sync]

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Wed Jun 12 17:11:02 CEST 2002

On 13 Jun 2002, mdew wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 02:07, Alex Shnitman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 16:09, Michael Lampe wrote:
> >
> > > Every DVD I played with mplayer so far needed a delay of about -200 ms
> > > for good A/V sync.
> > >
> > > CPU is only a Celeron433, but from the CPU load and the fact that
> > > mplayer doesn't drop frames, I'd say this is fast enough.
> > >
> > > Soundcard is a Soundblaster PCI64 (Ensoniq ES1371). Same Problem with
> > > OSS (both kernel drivers and commercial) and ALSA (both 0.5 and 0.9).
> > >
> > > So my question to all of you who claim perfect A/V sync with DVD
> > > playback: What's your CPU? Which soundcard/driver combination dou you use?
> >
> > I'm experiencing the same problem with DVD playback. Sound card is Sound
> > Blaster Live! (with ALSA drivers, used via OSS emulation), CPU is
> > Celeron 933 MHz. All the mplayer versions (0.* pre*, and CVS) give the
> > same result.
>
> "me too"

 I have a PII at 400 and an SB Live with kernel OSS driver (the 2.4.7 kernel
version) and NEVER had any problems with a-v sync in DVD (or ANY other
media) playing. a-v sync is JUST PERFECT!
 I remember years before when I had tried to play DVDs and DivXs with
Windows Media Player I had many a-v sync problems. But that was just an
experiment, I didn't search about the problem at all.