[MPlayer-users] Soundcard Survey [was: DVD sound sync]

DEBERT Jean-Louis jl_debert at rsd-intl.com
Wed Jun 12 17:25:02 CEST 2002

>  Every DVD I played with mplayer so far needed a delay of
>  about -200 ms
>  for good A/V sync.
>
>  CPU is only a Celeron433, but from the CPU load and the fact that
>  mplayer doesn't drop frames, I'd say this is fast enough.
>
>  Soundcard is a Soundblaster PCI64 (Ensoniq ES1371). Same
>  Problem with
>  OSS (both kernel drivers and commercial) and ALSA (both 0.5 and 0.9).
>
>  So my question to all of you who claim perfect A/V sync with DVD
>  playback: What's your CPU? Which soundcard/driver
>  combination dou you use?

I have a Duron 650, and the soundcard is the same as yours (ES 1371,
as reported by the kernel driver) using the standard OSS kernel driver
(2.4.18 kernel in Mandrake 8.2).

Now I don't say that there is (or not) a/v desynch, but I never _noticed_
any during DVD playback (the DVD drive is a 10x using UDMA33).

How do you measure the -200ms ??? (how do you even _notice_ it ?)