[MPlayer-users] Soundcard Survey [was: DVD sound sync]

Michael Lampe Michael.Lampe at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 13 14:35:02 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:

 > >  > is the delay constant? random? depends on bitrate? samplerate?
 > >
 > > For DVD playback it's really a constant (-200ms). I'd be surprised
 > > if all my DVDs had the same audio bit-/samplerate, but I'll check
 > > that later.

They all have AC3 (48kHz). 192, 384, or 448 kbit/s. But it makes no
difference.

 > > For divx it depends on the file. Can't tell you right now if there
 > > is a connection to bit-/samplerate or whatever.

No. At least nothing I could figure out.

 > hmm
 > and what is the case if you play them with different player?

Haven't tried anything other than mplayer for quite some time now, but
for DVDs, I  have _never_ seen correct A/V sync with any player for linux.

 > and different OS?

DVDs play fine (i.e. correct A/V sync) under Win95 with Cinemaster
99/2000. DivX is mostly ok with Windows Media Player.

 > and different soundcard/driver?

As I mentioned in my original posting, I've tried all existent drivers
for my ES1371 chip, i.e. OSS (kernel stuff and commercial) and ALSA (0.5
and 0.9). All the same :-(

I still have an old ISA soundcard which I have not tested yet.

 > don't you use -ao sdl or esd or arts or nas or other
 > something-between-mplayer-and-card thingie?

No. Definitley not.

-Michael