[MPlayer-users] File plays faster without audio

Samuli Kärkkäinen skarkkai at woods.iki.fi
Thu Jun 13 15:05:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Colin Leroy wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:22:12 +0300 Samuli Kärkkäinen
> <skarkkai at woods.iki.fi> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > When I play it without sound (mplayer -ao null) it plays slower (as in
> > "the movie progresses slower", not as in "it takes more CPU") than when
> > I play it normally with sound. The difference is about 1 second per
> > minute. Is this a feature or a bug? If it's a bug, I'll be glad to
> > provide more info.
>
> It's due to the fact that no framedrop is available is there's no sound to
> sync with. Without sound frames aren't dropped and movie slows down.

Obviously when no audio is available, it would be possible to
periodically check if the correct amount of frames have been played
(based on ftps of the file and the wall clock time elapsed), and skip
(or duplicate) frames as necessary?

AVIs without audio aren't that uncommon.

--
  Samuli Kärkkäinen                   |\      _,,,---,,_
 skarkkai at woods.iki.fi----------ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_------