[MPlayer-users] Distribution Poll (was Re: Want Less Attitude?)

Robert A Munro ramunro1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 14 14:26:01 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 04:52, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> > * Netscape 6.2.2/3 worked with MPlayer 0.90 using
> > Helper mime-type items
> > but Mozilla 0.9.9 broke with that, and Mozilla 1.0
> > defaults to use Xine,
> > while depending on some 0.9.9 function for some
> > things.  !@#$%^ Mozilla!
> Check your plugger configuration if you have the
> plugger package.
> You can change every application you want to associate
> to a determinate mime type.
> I have mplayer,mozilla (tested with rc1,rc2,rc3,1.0)
> and xanim.
> mozilla launches every video with mplayer I have on
> net for the moment.

I'll look into plugger configuration, when I can find that.
Thank you!

> > * Version-specific RPMs for RedHat and Mandrake
> > would be helpful.  There
> > are differences between Mandrake 8.1 and 8.2, for
> > example (like, my SCSI
> > adapter is no longer supported by Mandrake 8.2 --
> > I'm using RedHat now).
> For video problems with DVD playing, updating from
> Redhat 6.x-7.0 to the latest version causes jerky
> video.
> The guilty is the DMA deactivation for cd-roms in the
> new versions of initscripts.
> You must also set USE_DMA=1 (if I remember correct)in
> /etc/hwconfig/harddiskhdx to reactivate it for the
> /dev/hdx device.
> Due to a bug in initscripts (aka /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit)
> , the global reactivation in etc/hwconfig/harddisks
> seems to fail in several cases.

Maybe true also, but what I meant was that SCSI support for my Tekram
DC390U2W adapter to my SCSI disks is _broken_ in Mandrake 8.2 and they
haven't even recognized the problem.  I won't be buying Mandrake stock,
since they _lost_ the difference between NCR53C8XX and SYM53C8XX chips.

Thanks for the plugger tip; I didn't even know it had a configuration.

Regards,
Robert