[MPlayer-users] DVD

Brian bstephe1 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 15 15:40:02 CEST 2002

Hi guys
    just starting to get a project up over at http://www.linux-eden.org and
used mplayer to load up the boards to get power/temperature readings.

The boards are highly intergrated with TV out and trident cyberblade/i7
AGPx2, at 533MHz and 800MHz the FPU runs at 1/2 speed with the
cpu optimised for low power dissipation over performance. My tests
with mplayer (mtrr,DMA,bpp,memory timing, at optimum):

533MHz - 720x576 mpeg2(DVD) - 5.7fps (-vo xv)
800MHz - 720x576 mpeg2(DVD) - 11fps (-vo dga)

667Mhz celeron and 700MHz Duron play on vesa
framebuffer no problems.

So from these figures I concluded that the boards are not good enough
to play DVD, I found reencoding the DVD into 400x300 mpeg4 and streaming
over network, full screen scaling gave very good TV out results, without
excessive cpu load.

Anyway I have just installed windows98 and run powerDVD with very different
results playing DVD, the 533MHz is running close to 25fps and 800MHz has
no problems at all, with hardware acceleration on or off, results are similar.

I've tried to get a trial version of the Linux version of powerDVD but they
seem a bit touchy, obviously these guys are running highly optimised
code. Keep in mind that I am a big fan of mplayer and have had a look over
the code for trident xv, vesa and compared with the datasheets with a view
to speeding up data transfer to the framebuffer, there is acceleration
availiable but I think the problem is decoding, can I get some feedback from
you guys, it would be good to match the powerDVD performance with an
open source player, I'm willing to get into it.

Brian