[MPlayer-users] Linux PVR - anyway to do onscreen file browsing?

Da Kourier thekourier-mplayer at armitage.gotdns.com
Sun Jun 16 06:21:02 CEST 2002

   I'm building a Linux PVR (Personal Video Recorder) box.  If you're
interested you can see pictures of it's construction here:
http://armitage.gotdns.com/pvr
   Anyway, I've got it connected to my TV with a scan-converter.  My
eventual goal is to store MP3s and video files on it and use a remote
control with LIRC to play whatever I want.  I've got mplayer working with
LIRC and I can play videos full screen.  They're DIVX encoded and look GREAT
with mplayer!  The ability to fast forward is fabulous and I'm just really
impressed with how good the quality looks even at 320x240.  Great job and
many thanks to everyone who worked on mplayer!
   Right now I'm starting mplayer from a telnet session on my other PC.  I
know that mplayer includes a built-in file browser in the GUI.  Does anyone
know if there is any way to control the file browser from a remote (LIRC)?
Or better yet, use a file browser with the on screen display or send the
file browser out to dga?
   What I'm trying to do is get the system to boot up and automatically fire
up mplayer.  Then I can control it with the remote control and choose which
video or MP3 file to play.  This system doesn't have a keyboard or mouse,
just a remote, and X/Gnome looks pretty bad on a TV.  That's why I'd like to
run mplayer with -vo dga and use a filebrowser from there onscreen.  Does
anyone know how I could do this with mplayer?  Or have another idea on how
to do it?