[MPlayer-users] DVD feedback

Brian bstephe1 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 16 08:54:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> you didn't even told us what kind of CPU is that...
> probably mplayer is not optimized for that, or you didn't tune it or your c
> compiler or dunnowhat... RTFb!

sorry VIA C3 embedded processor, I did include a URL in initial mail,
maybe you should RTF...website. :) MMX and 3Dnow with FPU at 1/2
speed. My experience with video is almost nil, first played mpeg a
few weeks ago with mplayer, thats why I asked for some feedback on
the users list, it wasn't to stir up trouble.

> anyway it may be possible that pdvd is better optimized than libmpeg2, don't
> forget that pdvd is developer by a group of well paid commercial staff
> compared to libmpeg2 made by a single guy for free

yes fully understood, many hands make light work, now that I know the 800MHz
board will play DVD for sure through powerDVD, just need to find out what
needs to be done to get mplayer or video lan to play the same quality DVD.

>> also i would mention that i can play teh matrix trailer .vob with zero
>> framedrop on a celeron 366 + pci et6000 vga, using -vo vesa, but a matrox
>> or agp card should be ok too using mga_vid or vidix.
>> i can play 720x576 (no black bars) 1800kbps divx (sw ep1 trailer) on
>> celeron 500 ati mach64, with full postprocessing enabled and still having
>> 20% idle cpu

DVD video is 720x576x~10000kbps mpeg2, where do you think the bottleneck
is, decoding? transfer to framebuffer? overall design? not optimised? this is
the question I am asking. I have placed the video file on a ramdisk to
eliminate disk transfer time.

>> so something is bad with your system...

I initially thought the same thing, but now I'm not so sure.

Although the powerDVD guys are a well paid commercial operation, we have
the same control over the software they do, maybe even a little
reverse-snooping may help, if windows can play DVD on the board there is no
reason Linux can't do the same.

And it is a great little board, cheap, lots of features, readily availiable
and most important its not in the power race, so wont go out of date in
3 weeks time.

Brian