[MPlayer-users] libavcodec problems

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jun 17 05:04:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:59:01AM +0000, gabor wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have problems with libavcodec..
>
> i have a 80Mb avi  with [MPG4] video ( i don't know exactly which
> mpeg4-mutant this is ) .. and i wanted to de-interlace it...
>
> as mplayer told me the file's video stream was at 2400bkbps, i used:
>
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2400
> neverwinter.avi -o out.avi
>
> it produced a 40Mb file ( video data 1200kbps )...

Chances are, if the file was interlaced, lots of bits were being
wasted encoding the high frequency vertical 'noise' resulting from
merging two fields that don't fit together without deinterlacing them.
Thus, you don't need nearly as many bits to get the same quality after
deinterlacing. On the other hand, it probably should be a bit bigger
than half-size. :) Looks like you've got things fixed since posting
your initial question anyway.

Rich