[MPlayer-users] splitting avi output

SMuelas smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Mon Jun 17 11:14:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 09:54, vin.gui wrote:
> I want to make a avi file that would fit on 2 cds.
> I successfully encoded a dvd into a 1400MB avi file,
> then I used avisplit to split it, but the audio is way out
> of sync. I read somewhere that constant bitrate mp3 was required
> but this is what I used.
> At transcode-users mailing list, they say that
> avisplit cannot split anything that is not produced by transcode...
>
> Is there a way to make mencoder split the avi file ?
> Or can anybody indicate me an alternate solution (under linux)?

Always think in MPlayer and/or Mencoder.
Yes, you can split your avi file in two. Just look at the precise time
when you want the second part to begin (or the first to finish) and
write:   "mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ss 01:05:23 -o YourFile2.avi
YourFile.avi"
This for the case that you want the second part to begin after one hour,
five minutes and twenty three seconds (as read on your OSD).

With that, you will have the second half. Now, lets go to the first
part. For that you must use (as long as I now and have done) the
"-frames" capability of mencoder. Play your file with mplayer and yo to
the place you want to cut your file (in the example: 01:05:23). Click
the space key to pause the movie and look to the frame-number in the
output of mplayer. Take a note and write:
"mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -frames 98075 -o YouFile1.avi
YourFile.avi"

The last number is the one that you must have noted. You can always
obtain it (as you have 25 frames per second if a standard avi) using:
(hours x 3600 + minutes x 60 + seconds) x 25 = your number of frames.

With that, you must obtain your two files. Try it and if it doesn't
work, do not blame anyone of the MPlayer team. Just me. :-)

Good luck!