[MPlayer-users] no end-of-file stop please

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Sun Jun 23 13:49:01 CEST 2002

Here's a feature request;

for mplayer not to exit if I seek to the end of file, but to just stop
seeking
It needs some trickery and hence discussion here;

My guess is:

We probably still want it to quit when it plays to end of file, but not
right after it finishes seeking to the end of file.
So I guess if someone seeks close to the end of file (or does any seek?)
and then end of file is reached, it does an implicit pause for a couple
of seconds giving the person the chance to seek backwards again and find
the spot they were seeking for.  Then after the implicit pause times out
it plays (to the end of the file).

Further after pausing for a couple of seonds it may find the file has
grown and keep playing;  so this would also be good as a follow mode; I
sometimes get one instance of mplayer to record to file and a minute or
so later start another to read from the same file thus giving me
tivo-like live pausing of the programme.

I guess this is not the time to talk about tivo-like circular buffer
files, but maybe another day.

Sam