[MPlayer-users] dist

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Jun 24 12:00:02 CEST 2002

On Monday, 24 June 2002, Olle Westman wrote:
> Hello!
>
> MPlayer is truly a fantastic media player. But why isn't it distributed the
> way it will be used? That is, GUI-enabled and with one default skin.

Well, I for one use it without GUI and GUI is still unstable beta.

> Also, most people will use the win32 codecs, so why not bundle them as well?

How hard is it to download a tarball from mplayer's website and unpack it
or just copy some files over from your windows partition?
OK, maybe it'd be better to provide an RPM package. I'll think about it.

> How about 3 rpms,
> one MPlayer with gui enabled and with one skin default
> one with all codecs available
> one with all the skins available

Why not indeed? The only problem is, my resources are limited and I could
use some help. I did post a "call for builders" here not so long ago,
but there was little response. Basically what you need is a RH 7.x system
with all the necessary devel packages installed and a well-crafted
~/.rpmmacros file to allow non-root building. Different RPM-based distros
and different architectures are welcome, too, although I can't help with
all problems then.

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>