[MPlayer-users] [slightly offtopic] encodings support in MPlayer

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Wed Jun 26 17:06:13 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 05:48:22PM +0300, Daniil V. Kolpakov wrote:
> Cp1251 is Windows encoding. Making it default in Unix world is
So what? I don't care about that, more important that one has ability
to write text according to /Russian/ (East-slavic in fact) typography
conventions, w/ << >> instead of "" and /No/ instead of a hash sign and
so on.

> nonsence. That was Microsoft, who made Cp866, then Cp2151 when there
Heh... CP866 was invented by IBM AFAIR.
> was koi8-r available. Alphabetic letter order is not the case, since
You forgot about iso8859-5 (aka GOST), Mac (several ones, IIRC),
so-called "Bolgarian" encoding and other pieces of <beep> (I hadn't dealt
much w/ that IBM and DEC big iron, but it seemed they had smth own for this).

> more and more software are using Unicode internall.
Sure. That's why I asked for UTF-8 support.

> Probably mplayer should use unicode fonts and have a commandline switch
> telling about subtitles encoding. A'rpi?
Perhaps it's a good idea. But more important not to use 'character string'-
oriented code, but either wide characters (faster, but requires its own
string manipulation routines) or UTF8 (slower, sometimes much slower, but
all these strncpy, strncat other others will work w/o a problem).

And another question: Arpi, do you mind against GNU gettext usage
instead of hard-coded strings?