[MPlayer-users] I wrote a newbie-oriented article on how to compile/install MPlayer and would greatly appriciate comments

Haas Wernfried amnenion at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 26 22:34:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 11:23:09AM -0700, Farrell Farahbod wrote:
> http://mysite.iptic.com/upgrdman/temp/mplayer/mplayer-article.html
looks quite nice for a newbie installation-guide, although i did not test
everything step by step ;)

as you recommend to download pre5 i think it is not necessary to download
libacvcodec yourself, is it?

the whole installation is quite long, especially if you have to install quite
a lot of other things (gcc, lame-lib (which is just necessary for encoding (or
am i wrong about this)) and the chance that somewhere a compilation error (or
just a another lib is missing / not found) occurs is not that small, it would
be good to point out, how to solve these problems (rtfm, ask in the right
place, read a good book), so that the newbies are quite able to help
themselves. there are links to some irc-channels and newsgroups, but i am not
sure if they're happy with being flooded with newby questions ;)

a "which files / directories" can i delete after installing mplayer-section
would be usefull too. (now type "rm -rf *" ;)

nice thing
wernfried