[MPlayer-users] Re: MPlayer-users digest, Vol 1 #1203 - 12 msgs

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Jun 27 23:35:02 CEST 2002

On Thursday, 27 June 2002, Gregg Leichtman wrote:
[...]
> Ok, I used the correct target for my system---i686---and rpmbuild worked
> correctly. There was no complaint about not finding the vidix stuff.

Good.

> The download page, from one of the mirrors:
>
> http://mirrors.sctpc.com/dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
>
> indicates that the target should be "<your arch>". I mistook this for the OS
> version (don't ask why). I do, however, think it would be helpful for future
> installers if the page mentioned all of the various architectures that can be
> used. If the page does already mention this, then I'm just being blind again.
> Just my 2 cents.

No, it doesn't. I'll put some info on this, although I think it's mentioned
in RedHat docs.

> I also was able to build using configure with --enable-gui and --prefix=/usr.
> This solved some of the linking problems. The font was found, but the default
> skin was not. I had to create a link in my .mplayer directory to
> /usr/share/mplayer/Skin.

Hmmm... I'll have to find out where gmplayer looks for skins. It used to work,
but I haven't used the GUI for a long time.

> Also there is a file in the default skin bz2 package that does not appear to
> be in the default skin rpm---skin---the definition file for the skin. To get
> around this, I still had to copy the files from the bz2 package to
> /usr/share/mplayer/Skin. Probably only needed to copy the missing "skin"
> file, but I copied everything.

Yep, this one was missing. Strange I haven't noticed that.

[...]
> My mistake. You are correct. If I set the prefix directory, mplayer
> does indeed look in /usr instead of /usr/local.
>
> However, since the rpms expect mplayer to look in /usr/share instead of
> /usr/local/share, wouldn't it be more convenient for installers and cause
> fewer installer problems, if the default prefix for configure was /usr
> instead of /usr/local?

No, because (at least that's my impression) /usr/local should be used for
unpackaged stuff (compiled by hand) and /usr for RPM'd software.

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>