[MPlayer-users] Re: TV Capture and AVI editing - best

steffen stef22 at gmx.de
Sun Jun 30 12:30:02 CEST 2002

> > > The second problem is that the sound gets further and further out of
> > > sync until it disappears altogether.
> >
> > This is because of the Keyframes I guess
> >

> > Hmmm I think you should use Motion-JPEG to capture because it is better
> > for editing, maybe mpeg2 is also good for this.
>
> From what I have learned about mjpeg or mpeg, the filesizes are even
> larger than low-motion avi.

They are larger, but for Mjpeg the CPU-Load is much lesser and editing should
be easier to do with it.

> > Further I've heard about a tool called broadcast2000, for video-editing,
> > but I didn't try it right now.
>
> I have cinelarra, the follow-on to broadcast2000. I tried some editing
> with it last night, with less-than-perfect results.

Thanx so I mustn't try it ;-)

> > Maybe MJPEG and mencoder does the trick for you ...
>
> I will give it a shot.

Since I was interested in play around with that , that you want to do I surfed
trough freshmeat a while. Where are mainactor for Linux, but since it is crap
just under win I don't know if it is worth to try it. 2 interested Programms
I read about are jashaka and Kino. I don't know if Kino can load other than
DV-avis. Since DV has a fixed Bitrate near 3,6 MB/s you wont try it ;-).
Yashaka looks impressive on their website, but I don't know how much really
work of the described features.

The last I have to say. I looked at the xmmp-Site and installed this tool. In
this package there is a crappy video-Player called mplayer, so I think some
of the real mplayer-developer want to speak with them, to change the name of
the mediaplayer of them.

Greets

Steffen