[MPlayer-users] Error loading "divxa32.acm" - AGAIN

clemenswaechter clemenswaechter at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 19:52:01 CET 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Igor Evdokimov wrote:
> >Since version 0.50pre... and for 0.60 I have
> >the following result of loading AVI file after a little pause (1-2 sec.)
> >after string <Loading DLL: 'divxa32.acm'>:
>
> >-Detected audio codec: [divx] drv:4 (DivX audio (WMA))
> >-MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_audio_codec
>
> >This AVI is playing fine in mplayer0.18..., but new versions
> >does not want to play it, thougth Arpi says that it works well in latest
> versions.

Yes, I've got *exactly* the same problem.
Although I didn't get 0.5 to compile, since my g++ seems to be
misinstalled accoding to mailing list archives etc.
Mplayer 0.6 plays fine for me with most of the codecs... but some
fail. I guess its just the audio codecs.

Can you perhaps check if you do also have the problems only with
the audio codecs (but not with the video codecs)?

> and received some answers.
>
> I've tried almost all, except upgrading my system to LIBC version 2.2.x
> New version (0.60) coudn't help. Binutils 2.11.92 too.
> The problem is'nt solved yet.

I tinkered everywhere in my system, too. Nothing helped.

> Together with Joergen Scheibengruber we decided that the problem is in
> LIBC version we use - 2.1.3 (rather in mplayer that conflicts with LIBC
> :-)

/me has got the same antique glibc. This _is_ probably the cause

> All people that are using 2.2.x LIBC versions runs DivX WMA audio in
> mplayer with success. But I don't want now to upgrade almost all packages
> in my system...

I am currently using a self-compiled LFS which I compiled according to
the instructions but not with the most recent files since I downloaded them
using a friends internet connection because the files are together all so
big.
Now I have DSL too and I am now using the most recent packages and the
problem is gone....
So it seems that you have no other choice than updating.

> What can I do to help to correct this bug?

I guess that you can't correct this bug easily. But as a workaround
(please do not ban me / flame me, I know its not right, I've read the docs)
you could try to use a statically linked version which you compile on
a machine with a working glibc ( that is with a glibc version > 2.1.3).
This worked for me when I had problems with the c++ win32 loader and my
broken gcc install.
Anyways this is just a very ugly workaround, I admit. Also read the cons
of binary packages in the docs, there are various which you should also
consider...

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > What can I do to help to correct this bug?
> sending a full bugreport?

Well, I did that and sent it to you but never heared anything from you.
Not that it would matter to me since I will soon have my new LFS fully
featured
and ready to use.
Btw: I sent that bug report on 26.12.01 and 27.12.01 ( since it did not
include everything etc)

> did you tried as root?

Doesn't help. It doesn't matter wheter its run as root or not.

It really seems to be the glibc....

With kind regards
Clemens Wächter