[MPlayer-users] License for win32 codecs

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Tue Mar 5 16:30:02 CET 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Happy Camper wrote:

> Does anybody know how MPlayer site is able to distribute the win32 codecs?

	I can answer this one. See, we put the files on the server, and
these protocols called HTTP or FTP, which operate over TCP/IP, enable
other people to download the files. That is how we are able to distribute
them...:)

> Do they have a license agreement from the original source of these codecs
> for distribution?

	Depends on who you ask. If you ask us, we'd probably nothing
wrong. If you asked Microsoft, they'd probably say yeah, there's
something wrong. Let's just agree to disagree.

> Dont get me wrong.  I do not have a problem with it at all.  I just want
> to make sure that it is okay for me to share that bzipped archive of win32
> codecs with my co-workers and friends.

	Tell ya what: Go ahead and distribute these freely-available
codecs. If Microsoft comes knocking on your door about the issue, let us
know, okay?

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson