[MPlayer-users] repairing bad avi files with mencoder...

Justin Rebelo rebelo at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 12 06:06:02 CET 2002

Hey guys,

First off, tremendous thanks to the developers of Mplayer. I have been
using the software for about a year and have had great experience with
it.

Second, I am having a problem with an avi file. After about 20 seconds,
I lose sound in Kiss of the Dragon and get the following error:

DEMUXER: Too many (4096 in 1808097 bytes) audio packets in the buffer!
(maybe you play a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed)

I pained over this for days before findind a message on this mail list
that mentioned the -ni option. I used this and voila, my file plays
fine. I also read about using mencoder to actually *repair* this file
instead of just work around the problem. I followed the section in the
documentation on doing this using the following command:

mencoder Kiss.of.the.Dragon.avi -ovc copy -oac copy
Kiss.of.the.Dragon.2.avi

It scrolls numbers by very quickly, and, strangely, I get the same error
I got when I was playing the file before I found out about -ni. The
output is as follows:

A:   0.0 V: 278.0 A-V:-277.960 oAV:-278.029 diff: -0.000 ct:  0.068 vpc:
 0.068 VBR audio framecopy not yet implemented!

DEMUXER: Too many (4096 in 1808097 bytes) audio packets in the buffer!
(maybe you play a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed)

Writing AVI index...
Fixup AVI header...

Video stream: 1069.477 kbit/s  (133684 bps)  size: 37168243 bytes
278.029 secs

Audio stream:      nan kbit/s  (-2147483648 bps)  size: 0 bytes  0.000
secs*** free_stream() called ***

Any help is appreciated it. If I missed something in the docs, I
apologize, but I am pretty sure I followed it to the "t".
| Justin Rebelo <rebelo at shaw.ca> http://www.rebelo.ca |
| "A computer without a Microsoft operating system    |
|  is like a dog without bricks tied to its head."    |