[MPlayer-users] 2-pass HQ encoding with libavcodec

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Mar 29 18:07:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> Then I think the secont pass should use more info from the first pass to
> optimize the bitrate distribution across the film. A friend of mine

the same 2-pass control code is used for divx4 and libavcodec, just divx4 has
worse single-pass bitrate control.

> just did a comparision between 1 and 2 pass encoding, and the difference
> in action scenes was really amazing. It might also be the case, that the
> film you are testing with is quite a static one.
> He used Episode one, and the race did make a real difference: 1 pass did
> not have enough bitrate left for a long action secne like that while 2
> pass encoding had the spares to make the previous blockiness go away from
> that part.

yes, you're right. for _long_ action scenes 2-pass will show the difference.
but for short ones a good singlepass bitrate control should be enough.
of course 2-pass will always improve bitrate distribution, but sometimes it
simply doesn't worth the double encoding time...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team