[MPlayer-users] 2-pass HQ encoding with libavcodec

Brian J. Murrell a35f33f8b351ea780c848451e6d94270 at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Mar 30 06:16:02 CET 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 02:54:00AM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

Hi A'rpi.

> Who needs divx4 or xvid any more? :)

:-)

mencoder.c seems to be fixed and I just tried this puppy out.

> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900:vme=5:vqmin=2 -pass 1
>   -nosound test.vob
>
> vme selects motion estimation algo, best values are 5 and 4, don't forget to
> set it!

What is vqmin?  Minimum quality?  So the encoding could go over the
requested bitrate to meet the minimum quality requirements
(theoretically)?

> also note, that it encodes at 33 fps on p4, good, ehh?

14fps on my AMD TB 800!  Better than whatever it was using before
(opendivx?) which was 7-8fps.

> anyway it seems that 2-pass doesn't help so much, it's very good even at
> 1-pass encoding, just set vratetol to something bigger, good value was 40000
> for me.

What does vrateol control?  The manpage says "approximated bitrate
tolerance" but what does that mean?

> so, try it and tell us your opinion...
> use last-minute CVS from both mencoder and libavcodec!

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell