[MPlayer-users] Cropping

Fredrik Kuivinen freku045 at student.liu.se
Sat Mar 30 16:44:01 CET 2002

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 01:35:23PM +0000, Chris Phillips wrote:
> > Anybody noticed, that mencoder is already capable of cropping movies?
> > -x0 -y0 -xsize and -ysize switches.  Now I can encode 21:9 movies into
> > 16:9 without having to use mjpeg-utils :-).
> >
> > Unfortunately mplayer isn't capable of real-time cropping (yet?).
>
> I'd guess it's not really finished yet, it ketp segfaulting on me. it did
> specifcally say that the size must be LESS than the original. can this not
> be changed so as to automatically add widescreen bands? If i want to
> convert it to vcd or such it'd need to be a certain aspect, so i'd want to
> add bands to make it 4:3 or whatever.

The cropping code which currently is in mencoder can't add black bands around
the frames. It can only cut out a rectangular part from the movie. I am
working on a video filter layer which will make it easy to write filters
to do such things though. It will hopefully be ready in a not too distant
future.

/ Fredrik