[MPlayer-users] AC3 playback just buzzez

Norman Kohler c14 at gmx.de
Wed May 1 14:16:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:36:37 +0000
Frederik Klama <fklama at f2s.com> wrote:

> I have even tried it with both "-ac hwac3 -ao alsa9", no sound at all
> again for this one.
> Don't understand me wrong, it DOES work with oss emulation and
> downmixing, but I'd like to listen to my DVD's in 5.1 surround. ;-)

Try "-ao alsa9:hw:0,3" so that mplayer uses the appropriate subdevice.

But alsa9 support seems still buggy to me, so I followed Marcus'
instructions (DOCS/tech/hwac3.txt) for using alsa's oss emulation -
although I had to do some things differently than descriped there. See the
recent "SBLive! + AC3 SP/DIF Output (ALSA/OSS)" thread where I posted my
success story for this hack :)

I hope the developers find a way to automagically select the appropriate
alsa subdevice. Also because it differs from card to card (3 on sblive, 2
on CMI...)

Norman