[MPlayer-users] xine vs. mplayer

Sergei Klink sklink at yandex.ru
Thu May 2 04:51:01 CEST 2002

Hello Luke,

LH> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
LH> On Wed, 1 May 2002 03:26:04 +0200 (CEST)
LH> Kjetil Tjensvold <feb2000info at yahoo.no> wrote:

>> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>> The last week I've tried both.
>> Xine 0.9.8 installs without any kind of problems, Play
>> windows media files (.asf) in a window that is 50%

LH> and? Are you trying to tell me you me you don't know how to change the size
LH> of a window in your window manager?

>> larger that the mplayer window. However it wont play
>> .mov files or quicktime although it should. Maybe a
>> bug.
>> Mplayer was a hell to compile and install. First I had
>> to upgrade my gcc compiler to version 3.0.4 to get the
>> job done. Option --disable-runtime-cpudetection
>> compiled not without errors although when I ran
LH>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
LH> if it compiled with errors, how did you run it?

>> mplayer I get noticed that it was not optimal
>> installation whitout that disable option. Mplayer
>> didnt either play -mov or quicktime formats. Common
LH>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LH> I can play quicktime files....

>> for both is no sound at all, although I enabled the
>> alsa driver for mplayer.

LH> RTFM: use oss emulation

LH> Then I tried to install
>> MPlayer 0.90pre2 packed by freshrpm. It dident work at
>> all, The gui shows up but the file was not activated
>> by my Opera browser as it did before that
>> installation.

LH> sounds like you should read the opera documentation

LH> After that I tried to compile mplayer
>> again to get it back to what it was before the rpm
>> installation, but that didnt work out. Finally the
>> people that answer questions is more nice at the xine
>> mailing list than at the mplaier mailinglist, who get
>> a lot of sour and arrogant people spitting out "You
>> should know that".

LH> The fact is YOU SHOULD KNOW things in the documentation, that's why its there.
LH> Your teh arrogant one to expect /busy/ people with lives to answer all your questions
LH> that have already been answered in the documentation - again the whole point of
LH> documentation.

>> In my opinion xine is allover concerning
>> qualitity,bugs and easily to install a 100% better
>> choice for a newbie like me, than mplayer. Mplayer gui
>> can not at all be compared with that of xine.
>>

LH> If its GUI you want by all means whip out your xine.. Mplayers GUI is in alpha..

LH> I can't beleive im bored enough to respond to this email...
LH> well anyone taking Organic Chemsitry can sympathize :).

>> =====
>> Investigating the Norwegain 4.th Secret Service
>> The multiheaded animal.
>> http://hjem.sol.no/altiett/knut_ove_hauge_kuren.htm

Looks like I don't need to say anything...After getting this email I
felt so offended even though it didn't seem to be aimed particularly at
me that I opened the reply window immediately but just before hitting
"send" realized that there would probably be a lot of other people
writing the same thing :) There is just one thing left to say, I
think - no wonder that he doesn't like people on the mplayer mail list
(I used to be on both, but unsubscribed from xine's because of
the amount of mail I had to read every day):if he doesn't even read
the docs that are SUGGESTED to be read(I don't think a lot of people
like to read docs but authors probably know that too) like "users
against developers" which tell everything one wants to know about the
gcc problem(I still don't think this is a mplayer fault, and I don't
want anybody to spend time trying to make some workaround - that's
what most Mustdie 9x/me/2000/xp developers do, not normal people. By
the way, I AM using windoze right now :(((( but not because I chose
to but because I have (details would require a separate thread)).

Anyways, do you think it is actually worth answering such emails(on
any list, and xine's also has similar ones)?

--
Best regards,
 Sergei                            mailto:sklink at yandex.ru

 "Windows NT has detected mouse movement, you MUST restart
 your computer before the new settings will take effect, [ OK ]"
 Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on a 8 bit operating
 system, written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company which can
 not stand 1 bit of competition.