[MPlayer-users] Small improvement for configure (0.90pre2)

pl p_l at gmx.fr
Fri May 3 10:11:01 CEST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:16:56PM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 May 2002 18:02, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

> > A small annoyance with the configure script is that it hardcodes the
> > full path of DATADIR, CONFDIR and LIBDIR into the config.mak file (i.e.
> > it expands $prefix).
> >
> > The result is that things like "./configure; make install
> > prefix=/usr/local/stow/mplayer" won't work: Most of the stuff will be
> > installed in /usr/local/stow/mplayer, but the makefiles that use DATADIR
> > or LIBDIR to *install* things (e.g. vidix/drivers/Makefile) will
> > nevertheless try to install in /usr/local. That makes it impossible to
> > use tools like "stow".
> >
> > AFAICS, a fix would be to change the configure script so that it sets
> > DATADIR, CONFDIR and LIBDIR in config.make to the unexpanded values, and
> > in config.h to the expanded values.
>
> can you send a patch? (read DOCS/tech/patches.txt)

I have done a patch for configure (I can only post it tonite for your
testing) but have not commited it as I don't like it since a wrong
path is written in config.h :/

./configure; make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/mplayer
will install in /usr/local/stow/mplayer/{...}
but config.h will contain mplayer default for {DATA,LIB}DIR since this
path was not available at the configure time.

I've checked a bit and some changes to the C code is required should we
want to replace DATA/LIBDIR by a variable as some string concatenation
is done ("/path/" "bar").

Anyway as Felix wrote it: feel free to send a patch if you fix these
issues or see an obvious solution I don't see 8)

--
Best regards,
  pl