[MPlayer-users] Difficulties and quality problem with Windows Media

Tony Houghton tony at realh.co.uk
Sun May 5 01:25:02 CEST 2002

In <20020504172623.GA5009 at realh.co.uk>, Tony Houghton wrote:

> In <200205032357.g43Nvbqa002624 at mail.mplayerhq.hu>, Arpi wrote:
>
> > > Finally, when playing what video there is from the original clip, which
> > > isn't very good quality anyway, I thought it looked much, much worse in
> > > mplayer than in Windows Media Player. Are some output drivers much
> > try to select another stream - maybe (as usual) the stream has the same
> > video at various bitrates, from very low to very high
>
> I don't think so. My Windows box is NAT'd through my Linux one, and if I
> check gkrellm I can see that both download the stream at about the same
> rate. Also, there's only one mms:// URL in the .asx file. I don't know
> exactly how it works, but I would expect the .asx file to be the place
> where multiple streams at various bitrates are offered. If not, how can
> I select a different bitrate with mplayer?
>
> I tried playing my dumped stream (from -dumpstream) in both, but
> although mplayer can now play that properly, Windows still "can't find
> the specified file".

I've now tried it in xine too, and the quality in that is much better
than mplayer too. This was on the file that I dumped from mplayer
earlier, so the problem must be in the output, not in the decoding.

Since my other messages I've downloaded and built the latest snapshot,
and enabled SDL support. I've tried each real time output driver I've
got, and they all have the same quality problem with this clip.

VCD looks OK though, and so does DVD. Except that the sound was out of
sync on the DVD I tried, and gmplayer has to be forced into 16:9 while
mplayer seems to be able to autodetect.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk