[MPlayer-users] Poor DVD performance

Paul Eggleton paul at softec.co.nz
Sun May 5 02:24:02 CEST 2002

> -cache ?

See my last message. Helps, but doesn't fix it.

> rtfm cd-dvd.html ?

Yes, I have read it and followed it. One interesting thing to note is that
setting file_readahead to 200000 actually makes things worse on my system
for DVD playback, so I set it back to 0.

> the only developer working on that (only he has such card) disappeared
some
> time ago, and so stopped development...

I see. Well perhaps I will have to forget the dxr3 for the moment and try to
get one of the more standard video outputs perfect. -vo gl2 -fs seems to be
ok at the moment, apart from the very noticable tearing artifacts (-double
does not fix this).

I am using the dxr3's sound output (-ao oss:/dev/em8300_ma-0) rather than
the motherboard's onboard sound to reduce CPU usage, but I notice the volume
control doesn't do anything when I use this method. I know the reason why;
are you going to change it?

You might want to list dxr3 support as broken in the docs to avoid other
people reporting the same performance bugs.

- Paul