[MPlayer-users] Access to RTC

Horváth István suti at nuk.teteny.elte.hu
Thu May 9 00:01:01 CEST 2002

> When mplayer starts it gives this error:
>
> Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_pie_on): Permission denied
> Using usleep() timing
>
> I do have permission to access /dev/rtc and I get the same error running
> as root anyway. Does it matter, and if so is there a cure?

it is beacause probably you are not root, so mplayer tries to use 1024 hz
rtc, but if you see in the /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/rtc.c, there is you
will see something like this:
 /*
                 * We don't really want Joe User enabling more
                 * than 64Hz of interrupts on a multi-user machine.
                 */
                if ((rtc_freq > 64) && (!capable(CAP_SYS_RESOURCE)))
                        return -EACCES;

so the kernel let only max 64hz rtc for a single user, you need to change
64 to 1024, and it will work correctly(of course after a kernel
recompile!)

but it was on the mailing list before!!! or you only need to switch to
root!

best regards!