[MPlayer-users] [Bug] trouble playing an encrypted DVD

Magnus Pfeffer magnus.pfeffer at epost.de
Fri May 10 09:13:02 CEST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 9. Mai 2002 22:57 schrieben Sie:

> Hi,
>
> > When trying to play a region-coded, css protected PAL DVD, mplayer is
> > incredibly slow at playing it, getting out sync almost immediatly.
>
> try with -cache 4000

Same as without.

> if still bad, try to -dumpstream it to hdd and playback from hdd, and tell
> me if it's ok then

Nope, same troubles as before. Sound does not start and a-v sync goes off.

I also noted that the aspect ratio was not detected correctly (4:3 instead
of 16:9), both dvd and hdd stream.

> i hope you didn't forced any kind of libcss library at compile time

No. I used the debian rules file to build mplayer and only added my personal
path to the win32 libraries.

Another helpful member of mplayer-users advised to try -nosound, and this
improves the playback (makes sense, as the a52 codec complains during
playback). So the problem might be related to the a52 codec.

I did more tests and found that mplayer playback only has problems with the
first (german) soundtrack. Japanese plays fine.

Using a52dec and extract_a52 (version 0.7.3) on the dumped stream can play
the german track fine. I can upload the dumped stream (the first few 100
MB), if you think it would be useful for analysis.

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Magnus