[MPlayer-users] Mplayer as TIVO

Tod Schmidt tschmidty at yahoo.com
Fri May 10 14:21:01 CEST 2002

Just wanted to tell someone that now that a bug in an
mplayer regarding color from NUV files
(NuppelVideo0.52a) has been corrected, Mplayer can be
used very nicely as a TIVO unit. I simply start
recording (nuvrec -W 640 -H 480 -n test.nuv) and then
mplayer *.nuv. Because nuv files aren't indexed, some
wonderful person implemented an alternate seeking
method that works fine with the still-being-written
nuv file. So pausing, skipping forward and back work
perfectly in the still-being-written nuv file.

  Mplayer is little jumpy for me when
recording/playing tvinput directly, and of course does
not do audio (yet). This is not a bug report so, no, I
won't RTFM. :-). Unless other people report it to be
very smooth, let me know if that's the case and I'll
file a real bug report.

I have been using mplayer since somthing like 0.20 (?)
and the pace and quality of the work done is
incredible. It has rapidly progressed to become easily
the best player, period. Peoples main complaints seem
to be with the ease of installing (who really needs a
gui anyway? Although it is pretty) but I would much
rather the developers spend their time making it work
right (which it does) than making it easier to
install. It's not that hard to read people...

Thanks for the great work,
Tod Schmidt