[MPlayer-users] DVDs

Aciel aciel at speakeasy.net
Sun May 12 05:54:02 CEST 2002

To play DVDs, I'm typing the following:
> mplayer -vo xv -ao oss -dvd 1 -aid 128

This seems rather complicated. I have a couple of questions about it.

Is xv the best video codec for me to be using for DVDs? Is oss the best
audio codec? I'm getting a lot of skipping and messages like "Your
system is too slow to play this DVD" even though I've got an Athlon TB
1333/266 and a 6x DVD player.

When I say skipping, I mean the video. It's kind of jumpy. If you don't
pay attention it's not noticeable but when you look closely, or it shows
a ceiling fan or something, you can definitely tell.

I could use DXR3 / em8300 but last time I tried to set it up (about 4
months ago) I simply couldn't get it to work with my system. I'm using
the monitor for the display--so I don't want to output it to a TV. And
it's very difficult to set up since I'm using overlay, and every time I
add the module, the screen goes blank (until I pull out the overlay
cable).

The other big thing is that I have to do this as root. Is there any way
to set it up so I don't have to? chowning the /dev/dvd isn't working.

Thanks,
Aciel
aciel at speakeasy.net