[MPlayer-users] TIVO simulator

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Sun May 12 21:27:01 CEST 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Lego Andy wrote:

> So, Mplayer and mencoder could be used as a software TIVO?

Well - mencoder doesn't do sound, so for now anyway you'll want a
different capture program.  I like mpeg1 - mp1e, ffmpeg, FFMPEGrec are
candidates.  I've used the first and last with success.

> 1. Real time recording from v4l.

Check

> 2. Real time playback from v4l

Well -  mpegencoder | mplayer - in principle though that's rather
heavy-handed.  Else, xawtv directly, else mplayer once it has audio.

> 3. Delayed playback from v4l (delayed as in record and play at the
> same time with some delay).

For me that's just mpegencoder >file & mplayer file

Flashier ways could be thought up.

> 4. Fast forward 5 minutes (to skip commercials).

Sure.

Steve