[MPlayer-users] Problems with specific MMS-protocol URLs

J. Gareth Williams gareth.williams at telperiondigital.com
Sun May 12 22:10:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've done a few searches through the archives and have not found any
discussion of the problems I'm seeing.  Nor can I find any caveats in
the documentation regarding mms.

I can't stream media from some particular URLs, receiving "Server return
404:Object Not Found" errors even though I know the content is
accessible there (it plays just fine with another popular media player
on another platform...)

The .asx file is at:

http://www.umbrellamusic.com/artists/the_dears/thedears-noreturn-high.asx

And this refers to the actual content, a .wmv stream:

MMS://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv

But invoking mplayer with either the playlist or the mms URL, mplayer
complains:

$ mplayer
MMS://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv

MPlayer 0.90pre3-3.0.4 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS!)

CPU vendor name: GenuineIntel  max cpuid level: 2
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Type: 6,
Stepping: 3)
Testing OS support for SSE... yes.
Testing OS support for SSE unmasked exceptions... yes.
Tests of OS support for SSE passed.
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled for x86 CPU with features: MMX MMX2 SSE
Reading /home/spoobles/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 34 audio & 91 video codecs
font: can't open file: /home/spoobles/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_pie_on): Permission denied
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /home/spoobles/.mplayer/input.conf : No
such file or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) config
Playing
MMS://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv
Connecting to server media.maplemusic.com:80 ...
Server return 404:Object Not Found
Unknown ASF streaming type
Unknown protocol: MMS
asf_streaming_start failed
Unable to open URL:
MMS://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv

Exiting... (End of file)

Any ideas?  Is the request perhaps redirected and mplayer doesn't follow
through?  I'm using tcpdump now to see if I can follow what is
happening.

Thanks in advance.
garethw