[MPlayer-users] SuperBit DVD

Nix N. Nix nix at go-nix.ca
Tue May 14 20:36:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 16:49, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On 13 May 2002 12:26:38 -0400
> "Nix N. Nix" <nix at go-nix.ca> wrote:
>
> > 1. It requires root privileges to do a "PCI scan".
>
> Sure it does, as written in the docs (did you really read them ?)

That's not really neccessary.  All "Permission Denied" errors usually
hint at a need for rootfulness.

> > 2. The installer doesn't install the .so's for each card in
> >    <prefix>/lib.  I had to:
> >
> >    cp <mplayer-dir>/vidix/drivers/*.so <prefix>/lib
> >    echo "<prefix>/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
> >    ldconfig
> >
> >    before I could run the above command line.
>
> 1) make install does the job
> 2) if /usr/local/lib is not in your ld.so.conf, than it's
> the fault of your distro

MPlayer "make install" ignores the "--prefix=<prefix>" switch?  Why ?
When I say I want mplayer in some specific dir, I do so with good
reason.  Since when does a shell script know better than a human ?

I suppose you might argue that for someone new to Linux, it might be the
case that they are not aware of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or ld.so.conf
issue.  But then, would they use --prefix ?

My policy is to always stick an app into it's own tree - that is, app
"xyzzy" goes into /usr/xyzzy.  This way, if the app is well - behaved,
there'll be

/usr/xyzzy/bin/*
/usr/xyzzy/lib/*
/usr/xyzzy/share/*

even

/usr/xyzzy/etc/*

Some smart apps will even take care of the library paths for me, not
necessarily by adding them to ld.so.conf.  I don't know how they do it,
and I don't care.  The point is, it's nice and clean.

Further, if I want to uninstall the app, all I have to do is rm -rf
/usr/xyzzy and I can rest assured that the app is gone, gone, gone,
without having left a single stray .so in my system-wide lib dirs.

Further still, if I want to test different versions of the app, I can
simply do:

mv /usr/xyzzy /usr/xyzzy-current
make install <- the new version I want to test
mv /usr/xyzzy /usr/xyzzy-new
ln -s /usr/xyzzy-new /usr/xyzzy
Test
rm /usr/xyzzy
ln -s /usr/xyzzy-current /usr/xyzzy
Compare results.

Generally, once I have the 2 or more xyzzy-<something> dirs I can flick
between them using a symlink like a dial.

> > 3. It's no faster than -vo x11 (which, for some reason, seems faster
> >    than -vo dga running as root).  I always thought DGA was faster than
> >    an X11 socket, but hey, what do I know ?
>
> That is strange...
> vidix should be a lot faster than x11 (afaik 2 memcpy less, maybe more)
> and scaling in hw. It's also faster than dga (at least on my laptop
> with it's mach64 based card).

I don't know ... my card doesn't have DRI either, so, maybe that's why
xvidix doesn't work with it. I know, DRI has nothing to do with xvidix,
but its lack points to a general lack of support for my card. BTW:

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x
(rev 64)

I'm wondering:  Does anybody happen to know what chipset this card has
?  Is it mach64 ?  Rage128 ?  What is it ?