[MPlayer-users] SDL/aRts audio driver fails

brep068gw001 at sneakemail.com brep068gw001 at sneakemail.com
Fri May 17 03:39:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 19:46, pl p_l at gmx.fr wrote:
> After having a quick look at the code it looks the aRTs driver is indeed
> called 'artsc' and not 'arts' so you should probably do a :
>   '-ao sdl:artsc' (I didn't test it).

Thanks for the suggestion, pl.  I tried it, but it gave me exactly the
same result as trying it with 'arts'.

Strangely enough, however, if I use anything at all for the driver name,
I get the same error message from SDL:

[paul at paul:videos]$ mplayer -ao sdl:testingblah FoodRace2.avi
SDL: Samplerate: 22050Hz Channels: Mono Format Signed 16-bit
(Little-Endian)
SDL: using testingblah audio driver
SDL: Unable to open audio: No available audio device
couldn't open/init audio device -> NOSOUND
Audio: no sound!!!

I can replace 'testingblah' with anything that isn't valid and it gives
me the same error, only with 'testingblah' replaced with whatever driver
name I chose.  This leads me to believe that aRts support probably
hasn't been properly compiled in the version of SDL that I have
installed (even though the package says it's supported, and libSDL.so is
dependent on libartsc.so).  That is, the problem is probably that it
can't find the aRts driver in SDL, not that it has trouble connecting to
my aRts server.

Well, maybe I'll try compiling SDL myself as somebody suggested.

Thanks for your help,

Paul