[MPlayer-users] Aspect ratio issue

Ervin Németh airwin at inf.bme.hu
Fri May 17 12:34:01 CEST 2002

> On 17 May 2002, Ervin [iso-8859-1] Németh wrote:

[...]

> MPlayer has an option by which you can tell it your screen aspect.  See
> -monitoraspect.

Yes but this could be done automagically.

>> The right thing were to calculate movie aspect-ratio respecting screen
>> aspect-ratio.  See WidthMMOfScreen(3x) and HeightMMOfScreen(3x)

> These work based on DisplaySize set in the XF86Config.  But this parameter
> is rarely there and rarely set correctly.  (It should be set by actually
> measuring the raster).

No this is not true.  Modern video cards and monitors support the VESA Display
Data Channel (DDC) facility and XFree86 4.0 and above can take advantage of
this.

In my case (1280x1024) the X-server has set the dots per inch value correctly
to 90x96 and tells me the monitor is 361x271 millimeters.  And this is not
user-configured.

> Also, this is not helpful for all the non-X modes.

This is absolutely true.

> I suggest that you measure the actual aspect of your monitor and set the
> -monitoraspect parameter...

This is good but see above.

-Ervin
--