[MPlayer-users] skins license

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat May 18 06:54:02 CEST 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:51:38PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > i don't think so.
> >
> > I've contacted Aleczapka, and his work is supposed to be on Artistic
> > license or some variation, and he promised to GPL them as soon as he's got
> > time.
>
> imho GPL for skin is rotfl.
> gpl says you have to publish patches and source.
> have you ever seen patch for a gimp or photoshop "source" file (that stuff
> with layers vectors text etc)?
>
> anyway we don't have the "source" for the skins, none of them

;-)

Skin is not a program, and I think GPL is a license for programs (for
example documentation is not program either, so there's a "GPL like" license
for only documentation but it not THE GPL). MPlayer skins contain a
description file as well but it's not program either and it can be treated
as "interpreted data" (it is not compiled into binary format or whatever). I
dunno what type of license should be used for data :)

- Gábor