[MPlayer-users] Bad news for RedHat 7.3 users

Rob Wallace rwallace at videotron.ca
Sat May 18 23:21:02 CEST 2002

Well guys, RedHat strikes again. I don't know what they did to the
2.4.18 kernel but apparently it affects mplayer... If it affects mplayer
you can bet it will cause other problems too.

I downloaded a clean 2.4.18 kernel source file and built it using
gcc-2.95.3 and the RedHat ".config". Presto! The problem is gone.

For those RedHat users who don't know how to build a kernel I guess your
5hit out of luck!

Rob

------- Previous email "Not a Bug! kernel 2.4.18"

I've noticed that kernel 2.4.18 causes mplayer to loose it's
performance. I have two kernels installed on my system 2.4.9 and 2.4.18.
When I boot with 2.4.9 mplayer is smooth as silk. The 2.4.18 kernel
causes steppy playback.

This is obviously not your problem however all of the latest distros are
running 2.4.18! Expect people to start whining soon.

System:
RedHat 7.2
gcc-2.95.3
kernel-2.4.9-13