[MPlayer-users] Latest success with Mplayer vs. xine vs. ogle

Jeffrey Hammel jhammel at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Mon May 20 07:19:02 CEST 2002

Probably a waste of bytes.  I migrated from RH 7.2 to Desktop Rock 1.6 in
the last couple of days.  I tried to compile mplayer, xine, and ogle using
rock. Both xine and ogles configuration scripts crapped out, even though I
have the necessary libraries for both. Mplayer compiled and installed
(though the binary that came with the distro was not compiled with
CSS-decryption).  Also, with rock, I can finally use mplayer for DVDs and
keep A/V sync w/o using the -framedrop option. I never saw why I had to
use this in RH: Athlon 1800+ w/ 512M RAM and ATI Radeon with AGP 4X and
DRI enabled.  Anyway, video is crisper than ever.  Will miss ogle's pretty
libdvdnav until it works in mplayer, but all else is superb. The
version is MPlayer 0.90pre4-2.95.3 in case anyone cares.  Not a
bug-report, but will provide more system information if anyone cares.

Thanks for an excellent tool, once again.

Jeff Hammel