[MPlayer-users] Mencoder ASF/WMV -> DivX (libavcodec)

Ralph Slooten ralph at delrom.ro
Tue May 21 19:37:02 CEST 2002

Hi there guys,

Firstly I must say that I appreciate more and more each day what features
Mplayer has ;-) Yesterday I watched and downloaded a video stream of a live
concert, using the "-dumpstream" option. This gave me a great playable file
on my harddrive.

The question is this. The dumped stream is in ASF/WMV format, and as I only
started downloading after it had been streaming for about 7 hours, the
stream "begins" let's say at 7 hours. I tried this firstly to idx with the
ocv and -oac set to copy, however it produces an asf file with an AVI index
from what I can tell, and appends about 48 MB to the origional file of
100MB. Not the right way to do it I guess ;-) So what I wanted to do was to
reencode this file to DivX using libavcodec, but cannot produce any
reasonable quality no matter what bitrate I try.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how (and if) this is possible? From
MPg -> DivX I get great results, but it just seems that this way (asf->avi)
does not want to behave :-)

I tried using:
mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1200 \
         -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=96:cbr stream.dump -o test.avi

and tried using the CVS from last night and from about 12 days ago.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

--