[MPlayer-users] w32codec_dl.pl

gabor farkas gabor at realtime.sk
Mon May 27 01:43:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 04:42:53PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> IMHO this script should and can download those m$ codecs which m$ media
> player can. SO, the official ones: ms mpeg4 v2, v3, wmv 1, 2, indeo, cinepak
> etc.
> it won't download third-party codecs (supplied together with tv/in hardware
> or video editing sw) nor the illegal stuff like divx, cracked mp3 codec etc
>
> so, i see no much sense of using this script, downloading the win32 codec
> package from mphq is much simpler and faster imho

yes, but the script solves the license/trademark problems with the win32
codecs... i know that for 99% there won't be any problems, but it's nice
to have a 100% legal way to get those codecs...

maybe we should ask microsoft if it's possible to redistribute the
codecs in a package.... any ideas where to send the question?
like caniredistributeyourshittycodecs at microsoft.com :-))) ?

bye,
gabor