[MPlayer-users] prologic sound

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Mon May 27 14:11:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002, [iso-8859-1] José M. [iso-8859-1] Fandiño wrote:

> thank for you reply Stephen, but i'm a bit confused. You are telling
> me that liba52 provides 'by default' a prologic sound with the center
> and surround channels coded in the stereo signal. Can I feed a prologic
> amplifier directly with the soundcard output??

The short answer is yes - feed the stereo pair to your prologic amplifier
and it will "dematrix" the centre and surround.

Alternativaly, use mplayer's surround plugin and it will decode surround
for you itself, outputting it to the rear channels.  (though this decoder
does not have all the features of a full pro-logic decoder)

Of course, matrixed surround sound (Dolby Surround, Dolby Prologic,
Prologic II etc) is a very inexact business and you should expect results
a lot poorer than proper discrete multi-channel like 5.1.

Steve