[MPlayer-users] mencoder *.avi ?

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Wed May 29 07:03:01 CEST 2002

Hi -

	I see from the mencoder manpage that it is possible to
	do something like:

		cat *.vob | mencoder ...

	Is it possible to do the same thing with multiple .avi files?

	The reason I ask is that i have several DVDs for which

		'-chapter 2-6'

	fails (stops after processing chapter 2) while

		'-chapter 2-4'
		'-chapter 5-5'
		'-chapter 6-6'

	succeeds.

	My thought was perhaps to do each chapter individually with
	something like:

		mencoder -dvd 1 -chapter 2-4 -oac copy -ovc copy -o c2-4.avi
		mencoder -dvd 1 -chapter 5-5 -oac copy -ovc copy -o c5.avi
		mencoder -dvd 1 -chapter 6-6 -oac copy -ovc copy -o c6.avi

	and then do the divx encoding on the cat of the .avi files:

		cat *.avi | mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts ...

	Doing the whole DVD isn't what's wanted because there are 2 complete
	movies on each side of the DVD.  Usually the first is chapters 2 thru
	6 and the second movie is chapters 7 thru 11.

	Hints, suggestions?

	Thanks.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com